Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Creating Three Dimensional Characters

Creating meaningful, realistic characters that come to life for the reader are essential to developing a story. Take a moment and think of the characters you wish you could hang out with. Or the ones you wish were your best friend.

The stories I don't want to end, where I'm desperate to find out what happens next in that character's life, are the ones that have a lasting effect on me.

Here's a vlog with simple tips on how to create three dimensional characters.

Links mentioned:

Christina Farley's debut YA, GILDED, releases fall 2013 by Amazon Children's Publishing (formally known as Marshall Cavendish). She is represented by Jeff Ourvan of the Jennifer Lyons Literary Agency, LLC. She blogs and vlogs about writing and traveling, and is often found procrastinating on Twitter.
Photo by Abby Liga

5 comments:

  1. Interesting! I've been reading Lisa Cron's Wired for Story and she says your character bio should only include information that relates to the story you're telling. But I find it's sometimes hard to know what is relevant when you're starting.

    Do you have a link for the character map? I'd like a closer look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do the character collage too. My include the words about the characters. I also spend a lot of time writing out their backstory. For me, that's one of the most important parts of the process. Does it all make it into the book? Nope. The majority doesn't go anywhere near it. But it help guide my character's actions because I know why the react that way to a given situation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great post just in time for my NaNo prep. I'll definitely be doing a couple of these things to really get into my characters heads before open that ominous blank doc. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are all great ideas! I will find that link and add it to this! Great idea Andrea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the tips. I do voice journals for each character before I write, but I'd like to try out other techniques.

    ReplyDelete